Friday, January 30, 2009

Pass the Tissues Please

It's been a while, I'm aware.  That whole business about being "over" whatever sniffles were going around in 2008. . . yeah, well, psyche.  The jokes on us, very nice.  Supposedly, the cedar is really bad here in January. I'm not totally sure what that means.  In fact, allergies are a mystery to me in general.  Just this month, if I had a nickel for every time someone told me "oh, I don't get allergies", I would quit Jesse's job for him.  How the bells do we know?  What percentage of the U.S. population goes into a medical facility and gets tested?  (If you happen to know, do tell!)  I guess I thought I wasn't allergic to anything, but maybe I'm allergic to cedar, to Austin, to Texas, to waking up at night 10x to nurse, to bad jokes. . . who can really know for sure?!  My point is, days have been filled with bulbing my poor toddler (OH yes, more on that) to death, spraying her down with saline solution, dancing for entertainment so she'll forget that no oxygen is actually flowing up her nostrils, and other such nonsense that may appear on YouTube.  We are still mending, and now the big guy has been hit too.  So really?  Allergies?  I bet at least one person from an entirely different state will tell me that they are experiencing something quite similar. There goes my head spinning about again.  At least we enjoyed a Hot Toddy this evening to keep ourselves grounded, and breathing.  

The photo above was taken on top of Whole Foods.  The building in the background is our apartment building.  Ahem, excuse me.  I meant to say our "high-rise residence" or something with more pizzazz.  You know, the people working here won't even call our home an apartment.  It now and forever shall be a "unit."  Who are we kidding?  I suppose the poor lads and lasses that are probably paying quite a bit more than us to live here. . .  Is one allowed to go on tangents via blog?  It seems wrong since I'm thinking this through, and have a delete key standing by waiting to take orders.  It's just more fun to keep going.  This is about as wild as my week is gonna get!  So, Whole Foods brilliantly constructed their rooftop space into a playground.  That's right, genius.  We frequent there, and Ada loves it.  I can't wait for the day when she loves the slide as much as she loves eating the wood chips on the ground.  (sigh) 

The use of roof space is absolutely brilliant, and I'm surprised we don't try to make this a reality more often in our own lives.  I would love to try my hand at hydroponic gardening atop our next abode given the opportunity.  Somehow I doubt that will happen, but I know it's happening somewhere, and that warms my heart.  Just think if office spaces used their rooftops, or schools, grocery stores (in the sense that they could sell produce in an open-air market), etc.  These things might already be a reality, but they are unknown to me.  If you have a good example, please pass it on.



    


No comments: